Operators are responsible for implementing their SEMS program throughout the life of their offshore operations. This requires a commitment to hazard identification, risk management, and continual improvement as well as to the goals of operational integrity and safety and environmental protection. The Center for Offshore Safety has developed a series of document to provide guidance through this process.
Conducting Remote SEMS Audits
- COS-1-10 Guidance for Conducting Remote SEMS Audits provides guidance to address considerations specific to conducting a remote audit
Conducting SEMS Audits
- These documents provide guidance on the approach and type of information that may be required to assess and validate a company’s management system relative to the SEMS requirements which are found in the American Petroleum Institute Recommended Practice 75.
SEMS Protocol and Gap Analysis
- COS-1-01 COS SEMS II Audit Protocol- Checklist verifies whether a company’s SEMS contains the requirements of API RP 75, which is part of the federal requirements.
Operator-Contractor Agreement Letters
- These letters can be used by the Operator and the Contractor to document the Safety and Environmental policies and practices to be used at each facility and clearly define roles and responsibilities under such policies and practices prior to performance of oil and gas activities in the Outer Continental Shelf. Selection will depend on the complexity of the work being performed.
SEMS Audit Plan
- This document contains guidance for what should be in a written plan for auditing a Safety and Environmental Management System (SEMS).
Corrective Action Plans
- This document guidance for developing a Corrective Action Plan (CAP) in response to Deficiencies identified in a Safety and Environmental Management Systems (SEMS) audit.
- This document was developed to provide a recommended standardized method of documenting results of a SEMS Audit.
- API RP 75 - Recommended Practice for a Safety and Environmental Management System for Offshore Operations and Assets
- Historical Document: COS-1-05 COS SEMS Knowledge and Skills Documentation Worksheet helps operators and contractors document the skills and knowledge of the workforce. This document is no longer in review and will not be updated or affirmed but is still available for reference.